Veronica’s Takeover: Cicerone Feels

Still the Same Ol’ G


If you know me at all, you know these past six months have been a whirlwind. I’ve juggled multiple jobs, studied for the Certified Cicerone test, planned a wedding and oh yea, trying to grasp on the what ever little sliver of life is left! Through the ups and downs, we’ve found some sure footing and I’m very excited to start this next chapter in our lives.

The Feels Are Real


My story today starts back in November, and unfortunately it’s not a happy ending fairytale story. I was really looking forward to our weeklong vacation in San Diego. The allure of escaping everyday life was calling to me. Unfortunately this trip was not all fun and games. I started the week at orientation for Modern Times, and I figured I would go ahead and take the test that I had studied over a year to take..... The Certified Cicerone TestI would say I’m more book smart than street smart, but really who even knows what the hell that means!! The months leading up to this, I took the time to read, practice, test, and taste a whole lot of beer.  Everyone around me was pumping me full of confidence. “You’ve got this, you know this, you’re Veronica, you love beer!” The day before, I studied at Half Door Brewing and nailed all my practice tests. This left me filled with confidence, and I was riding high on the clouds. That night I had a nutritious meal, went for a walk, took in the beautiful San Diego Bay air, and felt ready for the next day.  For my written test from styles to brewing process I felt like I was nailing every question. I got this, or at least until the tasting portion that is. I walked from the written portion feeling like a champ.

Unfortunate Turn Of Events


Unfortunately, for me, this is where the story turns. The tasting portion of the test is where my ultimate downfall was. I am notorious for saying “I’m not a good taster.” I’m sure if you have talked to me, you have heard me say it. I try so many beers... like a lot..... whatever amount you are thinking..... it’s more.. But certain flavors are just lost on me, regardless of how many beers I’ve tried. When the taste test started I tasted my samples and decided what was best. As soon as I finished I excused myself to the restroom to have a teeny tiny small, but epic meltdown. All of the emotions built up around this event came pouring out, because no matter how confident I was on the written, I knew for sure the tasting got away from me. After everyone was finished we went over the answers. To my surprise I got 100% on the first page. I’m starting to think I may have pulled this off. We go over the second (more weighted) page, I didn’t get a single one right. I don’t know how my tastebuds could be so wrong. You don’t find out if you pass or fail until four weeks later.  I blocked it out of my mind, hoped for the best, and enjoyed the rest of my vacation. It was filled with breweries, beaches, besties, and beer. 

He Passed!!!


Finally, what seemed like a lifetime later, we received our results. I was chatting with Justin on the phone and he freaked out having seen we finally received the email. He had passed!! My immediate joy for him quickly turned to fear when I realized I had to open my e-mail as well. I remember thinking “ignorance is bliss, do I really want to know?” Ultimately I did, I opened it, my heart was pounding, and in the words of Eminem “my palms were sweaty, knees weak, arms are heavy. There's vomit on my sweater already, mom's spaghetti.” The anticipation built as I read the e-mail and found out I had failed. I wish I could say I was one of those girlfriends that said “yes that’s so awesome you passed! I knew you would!!” Instead I cried, and cried, and wallowed in self pity. Luckily, my soon to be husband knew how to pick me up and dust me off. So I moved on, and said hey, better luck next time. After the wedding I am ready to try again, and this time it will be different.

Bright Future Ahead


What is funny, is literally everything else in my life has been a success lately. From being the Party Wizard at Modern Times Beer, to rocking it at Pub 365, and demolishing all that cross paths with me during any game. We continue to perfect our wedding and get excited, we’re drinking beers, trying out some breweries and hoping to find some hours in the day for hiking the wonderful desert landscape.

Blog Beer
Name: Sparkle Muffin
From: Revision Brewing
Brewed In: Sparks, NV
Acquired From: Speedee Mart
Style: NE Style IPA
ABV: 7%
IBU: 30
This beer gets a “R” for “Rad Beer”

Comments

  1. Some say risk nothing, try only for the sure thing,
    Others say nothing gambled nothing gained,
    Go all out for your dream.
    Life can be lived either way, but for me,
    I'd rather try and fail, than never try at all, you see.

    Some say "Don't ever fall in love,
    Play the game of life wide open,
    Burn your candle at both ends."
    But I say "No! It's better to have loved and lost,
    Than never to have loved at all, my friend."

    When many moons have gone by,
    And you are alone with your dreams of yesteryear,
    All your memories will bring you cheer.
    You'll be satisfied, succeed or fail, win or lose,
    Knowing the right path you did choose.

    William F. O'Brien

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Beer is Life and Our Life with Beer

Hop Nuts: Double The Cans, Double the Hops